Tuesday, October 04, 2005

 

Week 4 Monday - Brad

Monday, October 3 pm - Wow, wow. I don't know what I expected but it was not this. As we drove our last four hours today we began to notice some signs of Katrina. Tarped roofs broken trees. As we got closer I felt a little relieved maybe a little disappointed as I thought it would be much worse. You could hear in everyone's comments that they were gonna be OK and this would not be too bad.

Then wham, we arrived at the church and within 15 minutes I met Janet Hines and had an assignment. We got an address, some shovels, and 9 team members and off we went. No pep talk, no prep, just go and if this person is not home go find another home in the neighborhood. What we saw on the way brought sounds and moans from the people in the car, Oh my gosh, what are they gonna do, this is 4 weeks later, were the comments being heard. We turned into a neighborhood and all we could do was stare. The entire street was full of appliances insulation furniture everything from every house. I have never seen anything like it.

We found our house - no one home. We walked the street and found a lady and her brother working on her mom's house. They were about to quit when we stopped and offered help. We proceeded to gut the house, I mean gut, all the drywall, all the insulation, the light fixtures everything gone and taken out into the front lawn to complete the row of garbage on the street. It was unbelievable. We got to know our new friends Troy and his sister, we had fun laughed and prayed with them.

Tomorrow is a new day and lots to do. Teams going everywhere. I will write more when my daughter hasn't eaten my battery sending email,

Brad

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?